Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Getting Started

Pennsylvania is the home of Clarion University's "Center for the Study of Rural Librarianship".

72% of Pennsylvania's libraries are classified as small (serving populations of less than 25,000).

Isn't it time to create a voice/gathering place/resource for rural and small libraries?!

It is my intent to form a Roundtable within the Pennsylvania Library Association in order to create this voice.

The first step will be gathering the 100 signatures required to create the Roundtable. Please join me at this year's annual conference in Valley Forge. A session entitled "More Cows than People" will be held Sunday, November 9, 3:30 p.m. We will be discussing our vision for this Roundtable, brainstorming goals and objectives, as well as what rural and small libraries really "need" to help them succeed. Think about what you would like to see from such a Roundtable and join me in Valley Forge. If you are unable to attend the annual conference (as most rural and small libraries cannot)--please email me your feedback. tanner@citlib.org

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know I am all for it. We have to make it as easy as possible for library staff to learn from each other. Anything that helps such as sharing costs (resources, training, etc) will make a difference for those of us in small communities. By the way, love the title of your presentation!

Mary said...

Thank you. There are so many of us small rural libraries out there that it's about time we have a voice. Just because we are small and our patron base is small doesn't mean that these people don't deserve all the materials and services that are out there for everyone else to enjoy. Count me in to help and I will see you at the PALA conference session.

Anonymous said...

Great job Melinda! I think you have really tapped into an underserved group within our own ranks. Count me in and let me know what I can do to help.

Librarianlol said...

Great idea Melinda!